Expectation Level – High
On 2nd April, Microsoft announced to bring a version of its most popular document scanning app, Office Lens, for Apple’s iPhone and for Google’s Android devices. This app is already available for Windows Phone. A year after its official launch, Office Lens app was only compatible with Windows Phones, but now it will be made available on all three major phone operating systems.
Bringing the application to iOS and Android is the most recent indication of Microsoft’s new methodology of putting its best programming on however many gadgets as could be allowed, paying little mind to whether they are running Windows.
For those, who haven’t heard of this app, yet, it is a document scanning app that allows users to click pictures of any type of document and turn them into an editable file.
Know About It
Office Lens – It is one of the coolest app that, one can ask for. It’s almost like having a scanner in your pocket. Yes, you can use your phone’s camera to click pictures which will automatically scan it and after that it will convert it into a document which you can modify in the way you want. Even you can share it with your co-workers instantly.
Yes, now you can turn your phone into a scanner very easily with this app.
This app, will help you to trim, enhance, and will allow you to make your clicked pictures into a readable format and save them in OneNote, which is another app from Microsoft used for taking notes. Any peculiar angles can be straightened, shadows are cleaned up and the pictures are naturally synchronized to OneNote, so you can become acquainted with all from your gadgets.
Basically, Office Lens app will allow users to snap pictures of documents, business cards, receipts, menu cards, sticky notes, notes from whiteboards, and save them to OneNote. Not only that, users can also use this app to convert the images into PDF formats, Word, and PowerPoint files too and save them into OneDrive – the cloud storage app.
1. Office Lens comes with three different modes that can help you to get the best snaps :-
With Whiteboard Mode, Office Lens can trim and clean up the glare and shadows.
- It can easily recognize the corner of the documents and images and can crop them easily. It will allow the user with a precise trimming of the digital copies of the printed documents, posters, or business cards.
With Document Mode, Office Lens can trim and color images perfectly.
- It can identify the printed text on the images with Optical Character Recognition (OCR), so that the users can search by keyword for the image that gets stored in OneNote or OneDrive.
With Photo Mode, pictures are saved to your camera roll and directly into OneNote, so you can see the images across all your devices.
- Insert images to OneNote or OneDrive in docx, pptx, jpg, and pdf format- and gives you the option to save, share or export the image.
2. It offers users with a business card scanning function. Thus, it can help the users to generate contacts and add it to their phone’s contact list.
3. The Office Lens lis to a great extent similar crosswise over iOS and Android – Apple’s and Google’s versatile working frameworks – and Windows Phone. Be that as it may there are a couple of highlights in the Windows and Android forms that aren’t in the iOS variant. In particular:
- Auto classifier
- Capacity to catch various pictures and recovery immediately
This app can be downloaded for free from Apple’s App Store and Google’s Play Store. A preview for the product is available on Google+ for Android users. Android users can test the app before its public debut. Users will have to join the Office Lens Android Preview community on Google +, sign up as a tester, and then download it easily.
Office Lens is just like other scanning apps Scanner Pro, Scanbot, TinyScan, Evernote, etc, which are already available in the market. The app will have to face a lot of competition from its competitors for gaining a place in the market.
Although a spokesperson from Microsoft have claimed that, “ Since its launch Office Lens for Windows Phone has become one of the most popular free apps on the platform, with an average rating of 4.6 stars (out of 5), and more than 18,500 reviews.”
Well, as for now, we will have to wait for some time, and time will only tell us, whether this app will be a success or not.